A new report by the World Health Organization (WHO) says at least 208 people have died from the highly contagious Ebola virus in Guinea.The UN health agency said on Wednesday it has registered 328 confirmed or suspected cases of Ebola, including 208 deaths, in the West African country.The WHO added that the figure includes 21 deaths only between May 29 and June 1. This makes Guinea one of the worst-ever places hit by the outbreak of the deadly fever.The organization warned that the virus has also growingly affected neighboring Liberia and Sierra Leone, despite claims by Guinean officials that they have stopped it from spreading to other regions.
Algeria has reported its first two cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), better known as the MERS virus.In a statement released on Saturday, Algeria’s Ministry of Health, Population and Hospital Reform said the two men, aged 66 and 59, were pilgrims returning from Saudi Arabia.According to the statement, the first victim showed the early symptoms of the disease including fever and a breathing disorder and the second one suffered from a respiratory difficulty and digestive problems while in Saudi Arabia.The two men are receiving the necessary medical care at the hospitals of their respective hometowns.
The death toll caused by the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in Saudi Arabia has risen to at least 179, Saudi authorities say.This comes after Saudi health authorities reported a new death from the MERS on Sunday.The death brings the total death toll in the country from the outbreak to 142.The health ministry says four new cases are confirmed to have been infected with the disease. The ministry added that the total number of infections in the kingdom is now nearly 560.In early May, acting Saudi Health Minister Adel Fakieh dismissed the head of Jeddah’s King Fahd Hospital, where a spike in MERS infections among medical staff sparked panic among the public.
The death toll from the killer virus Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in Saudi Arabia has reached to 168.Saudi Arabia’s Health Ministry said in a statement on Saturday that five more people have died of the MERS respiratory virus.“The total number of infections in the kingdom from the coronavirus since it first appeared in 2012 now stood at 529 people,” it said.The statement added that the new deaths, including three women and two men, were recorded in the cities of Jeddah and Riyadh.The recent fatalities came only days after the World Health Organization said the spread of the disease has become more serious, but does not yet constitute a global health emergency.
Health officials in Saudi Arabia have announced four new deaths from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) as the kingdom battles to contain the disease that has killed 121 people so far.Officials said on Thursday that two of the deaths were reported late Wednesday, a 65-year-old woman and a 45-year-old woman. The two died in the capital, Riyadh on Tuesday.A 60-year-old man and a 70-year-old woman also died in Jeddah on Tuesday, the officials further said.The officials added that 18 new cases of the disease were recorded in the kingdom, including a 10-year-old boy.The boy was taken to a hospital in Jeddah on April 29 following an accident. He was discharged from the hospital on May 2, but was rushed to intensive care after MERS symptoms began to appear.
For full report read ….. http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/05/08/361800/mers-kills-four-more-in-saudi-arabia/
The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has killed three more people in Saudi Arabia, increasing the kingdom’s death toll to 105.The Saudi Health Ministry said on Tuesday that three men aged 56, 61, and 79 passed away in the capital Riyadh.The ministry added that six new infections have brought the total number of cases diagnosed to 345. The deadly disease first emerged in the Saudi Arabia in September 2012.Meanwhile, acting Saudi Health Minister Adel Fakieh said a group of Western experts and representatives of the World Health Organization (WHO) have held two days of meetings in the capital to discuss “a series of preventive measures… to contain the spread” of the disease.
Two more Saudi nationals have died from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), bringing the death toll from the infection to 94, Saudi Health Ministry says.The ministry said on Sunday that a 63-year-old woman died on Saturday in the western city of Jeddah, while a 78-year-old man succumbed to the disease in the capital, Riyadh.The total number of cases diagnosed since the virus first appeared in September 2012 has reached 323, representing the bulk of infections registered globally, the ministry added.On April 21, Saudi Arabia dismissed Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabeeah from his post following a worrying surge of new MERS cases in the country.